Thursday, February 17, 2005

Welcome to The Blue Ogee

I always wanted to open a coffee shop or a combination coffee shop/independent book store called The Blue Ogee.

So what's an "ogee"? The Encarta Dictionary states that it is"an arch whose sides curve gently inward near the top and then curve upward steeply to meet in a point." When I finally get this blog up and running, I will post a picture of an ogee. In the meantime, look it up yourself in a dictionary or encyclopedia, if you are interested. Better yet, go to this link to see some examples of elegant ogees: www.ontarioarchitecture.com/ogee.html

You would enter this imaginary coffee shop/book store through an ogee arch painted blue. Inside, the lights would be subdued--but the blue-ness and simple furnishings and friendship of the staff (me) would encourage people to talk to each other about important things.

Economic reality doesn't let me open The Blue Ogee (for now, at least). But I have decided to create a virtual site where the same kinds of discussions might occur.

I don't see this site as a personal diary or journal. I envisage it more as a place where I can put out some of my ideas. These ideas would probably try to connect the personal and the public dimensions of our lives. I would like to post about spirituality, wholeness, politics, sexuality and the arts.

So this is an invitation. Walk through the imaginary blue arch and get your expresso and sit down and listen and talk. Bring your own narrative to the table but be open to other narratives.

The Blue Ogee is ready and open for business.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

those are some mighty fine ogees. and you are a mighty fine writer, sir.

Anonymous said...

Daniel's bookshop sounds like a wonderful place. Such a shop is especially needed in a hectic society in which reading is increasingly relegated to vocational pursuits. Fewer people read for intellectual, spiritual, or emotional enrichment than at any time during my life. What a shame, since literature embodies the accumulated wisdom of the philosophical, historical, artistic, and intellectual musings of history's finest minds. Any literate person can share and interact with these ideas - each according to his or her own abilities. I hope the Blue Ogee becomes a place where some of these ideas are disseminated and discussed on a regular basis