Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Would You Immigrate?

Just following the November elections, I heard several of my friends say that now they would think about about immigrating to Canada. One friend said that she might want to go to a truly constitutionally free country, South Africa. if you have ever read South Africa's constitution established following years of apartheid, you will know why she is attracted to that country.

Like so many others who hoped for a change in the White House, I found myself deeply disappointed and even emotionally upset following the Bush victory. The prospect of another four years of ignoring significant domestic and international issues of social justice seemed then--and seems now--almost intolerable. Given the clear evidence from many sources that the American people had been lied to about the reasons for invading Iraq, I could not believe that the electorate would return Bush to power. But he was returned to power.

Every person who told me that s/he was thinking about immigrating has mentioned the topic again. So does that mean that they were just engaging in hyperbole or, as people often say nowadays, they were "over-reacting"?

Here is a question for you to think about: What would it take for you to seriously consider immigrating to Canada or South Africa or anywhere else that is ostensibly more democratic?

For myself, contemplating (even in a sort of fantasy-imagination world) immigration is almost as painful an exercise as contemplating the next four years with GWB. To put it bluntly, I like the U.S.A., even with Bush at the head, and I don't see why I should be the one to leave. Or, as we sang in the 60's, "this land is my land . . . " And even if at present progressive politics have not won the day in all of the U.S.A., people-centered politics has a place in our traditions. I am writing these notes from Indiana which was the home of Eugene Debs, who ran for president even when he was jailed by a conservative government. My ancestors fought in most of the significant major conflicts of this country. I am the descendant of German immigrants who moved from Hesse-Darmstadt in 1852 and settled in Pennsylvania. For sure, when I think of these things, I know that this land is my land.

Nonetheless, what would it take for me to immigrate? I was thinking about this today as I walked to work in a late winter snowstorm.

I decided that it would be intolerable to continue living in this country if any of the following were to occur:
--A suspencion of constitutional rights and the muzzling of free courts, even temporarily for whatever reasons;
--Publically approved scapegoating and/or open, government-sanctioned violence against any racial, religious, ethnic or sexual minority.

In the meantime, I am staying in the U.S.A. as a citizen proud of the achievements and concerns of progressive Americans throughout history. I have a sense of place in this country and in this city, Indianapolis, USA. This is GWB's country and he apparently represents lots of people out there. But it is mine also and I plan on staying and working for issues of economic-social justice that I care about.

Again, how about you, good reader? What would it take for you to immigrate? Think about it and if you feel comfortable doing so, share your comments.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Emigrating from the U.S. is a discussion topic that typically comes up when a Republican is elected to office. I wonder if it is a sense of frustration with the party that spurs this discussion.

I'm happy to hear, Daniel, that you see staying in the country as a very positive thing. Fighting for what you believe in is a stronger statement than turning tail and running to a country that as you say 'ostensibly' is more democratic and has similar freedoms.

This IS your country. This IS everyone's country. That in my mind is the beauty of what makes America America. People can typically disagree with viewpoints freely and publicly. Our voices are typically heard accurately by our representatives. And if we feel like we need to have more say in our government, we always have the right and the means to become a member of that government. Not every country on the planet affords us those freedoms.

Is it any surprise that there are so many people immigrating to this country still? Is that a sign that things are definitely better here with all of the issues that we perceive as flaws? I argue, yes. I'm staying.