Sunday, September 25, 2005

Did God Cause Katrina?

Like so many other Americans I have found myself glued to the television screen watching the reporters predictably standing in front of levees, seawalls, beaches just before, during or after hurricanes Katrina and Rita have struck. I watched also with horror the many unforgetable scenes coming out of New Orleans in the aftermath of Katrina: looting, people left behind, the terrible conditions in the Dome. My daughter is a graduate of Tulane University in public health and so I have felt how the personal story of our family somehow intersects with the story of New Orleans.

My most enduring emotion was a mixture of sorrow for the loss of so many thousands of people--their lives in some cases but also property, employment, social and living space--and outright anger at the tepid response of government at all levels to what was certainly a predictable occurrance. No need to write more about this here. It has been covered remarkably well by the media.

One of the biggest surprises to me during these last days has been a theological undercurrent that has not really gotten broad coverage in our nation's press. I became aware of it when one of my colleagues at work reported that her pastor at an evangelical community church here in Indianapolis stated in his weekly sermon that Katrina was God's punishment for the evil of "that part of the country." I didn't ask what constitutes that evil but I can guess: Mardi Gras, drinking, the French Quarter, Anne Rice vampire yarns, tolerance of gays and other sexual minorities. . . . . . . . . My surprise was compounded when, during my weekly telephone call with my mother she shared more or less approvingly that one of the television preachers that she sometimes watches on Sundays also interpreted Katrina as a sign of God's wrath.

Of course, I should have not been surprised. Hello, Dan Hoffman! This is a country where one of the bestselling fiction series is the Left Behind series in which God is (fictionally?) portrayed as bringing about the so-called rapture and is concluding history through warfare, pestilence, etc. [If you are interested in exporing this kind of theology and its political and social implications, a critical study by Barbara R. Rossing entitled The Rapture Exposed: The Message of Hope in the Book of Revelation is very much recommended. I should have known also that America has become more and more fundamentalist in its approach to all things and that the discourse of Katrina-as-God's-punshiment would be inevitable.

I am a Christian, though not a far-right fundamentalist. I am active in the Episcopal Church, one of the more tolerant and progressive denominations in this country. I am not expecting to hear about God's punishment of New Orleans' sinners in that church. Rather, it is my expectation that I will hear calls to care for those who have had their lives and webs of relationship tragically interrupted. I hope to hear challenges to dig into our pockets and do more than feel media-induced pity.

For myself, I renounce strongly the language of God's punishment. We see the truth on car stickers all the time: Shit happens. This is just the condition of living in a finite world in which we do not have control of all forces. It happens not because God wills it but simply because it is wired into the condition of life itself. In the Old Testament Job learned this. In the New Testament, Jesus succumbed to conditions that he could not control but I believe that he was victorious in the end. Just because something happens or does not happen does not mean that God is either rewarding or punishing our behavior. Things happen. The real issue, as it was for Job or Jesus, is how do we deal with it.

The idea that Katrina wiped out New Orleans because of its sinfulness reflects, in my mind, a misunderstanding of sinfulness. How can anyone in Indianapolis, one of America's major urban centers where everything goes on, even if we don't see it, claim that New Orleans is more sinful. As far as I can tell, all persons are alienated from moral truth and behavior. If it were a matter of punishing sinfulness, who would be spared, ever?

Here are a few of the sins that I think we should consider if we are going to point fingers:

--The constant denial of the Bush administration that there is such a thing as global warming, even though we may now be seeing some of the first catastrophic consequences of it.

--The shipment of our military forces at all levels to a tragic war, based on lies to the American public, in Iraq and the consequent absence of these forces to assist in the aftermath of Katrina.

--The inability of this nation generally to envision energy sources or lives apart from petroleum resulting in disruption when refineries and pipelines are effected, as in Katrina and Rita.

--The "Left Behind" of the poorest and most vulnerable of New Orleans' residents, most of whom were persons of color.

God does not destroy God's creation. But we are challenged by Katrina to figure out how to respond morally and ethically for the greatest good when disaster strikes, as it inevitably will.

At the end of the day, I somehow believe that the generosity and the community spirit of Americans will overcome the rantings of far right Christians.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Daniel I could not agree more. If the people making these claims would look at the bible a bit closer and take in all of it (instead of just what they want to see), they would remeber Noah. After the flood God promised not to destroy the earth again because for the same reasons these people are claiming. I think it is absurd to try and pin this on God instead of looking back at ourselves and claiming at least a bit of responsiblity for not taking better care of our Earth.
-Kristy

Anonymous said...

Hi Daniel, i think you have quite a strong case here. I agree with you on most counts.

I think that God wants us to come closer together as we are going away from him and just do not care about helping another human being. It is the best and most precious perfume you can snif out, a sweet oil being applied to your soul and satisfaction that lay deep within a person's heart.
I could go on and on, on this particular subject, it is very interesting that you raised quite interesting views.
You know what? i think you should watch the movie or DVD,--What the Bleep do we know?--im sure you will enjoy it, if you have not seen it yet. I for one, loved it! want to watch it again as there are so many views being brought to life that make sense one way or another--ethics, religion, sex, Quantum physics, arts, molecules, etc, truly captivated me and i think might have the answer to your interesting views that you bring to life in your blog.
Well its very enjoyable reading your blog, surely i will stay for long and comment now and again. Hope to see you at the bookstore, Sir, till then take care and good health to you.
chau Senor
Merwyn.

Anonymous said...

Hey Daniel, I thought i'd respond to your post on
Katrina since it gave me some food for thought. I'd
been in sort of confused about the disaster in the
gulf region since it happened. In the first news
reports of the disaster, I was surprised by all of the
bickering and finger pointing that began to happen.
As I received the news, even before the worst events
involving the Superdome, looting, and overall chaos
hit it's peak, it was definitely apparent that the
reaction to this natural disaster was much different
than those of the past. Maybe I was too young to be
aware of such social responses, but it seemed like in
past disasters, such as hurrican Andrew, people
collectively focused on only helping those who were
suffering from the effects of the storm. I'm by no
means relieving the government and emergency managers
of their fault in this situation, but I think that
mankinds response to this disaster gave me a little
insight into how egocentric we have been in regard to
it's relationship with nature. Could we have become
so obsessed with our fear of each other during the
terrorism war that we forgot how to shed our fears,
come together and show nature the respect that it
commands?

Anonymous said...

I lived in New Orleans for almost two years. Maybe people are reponding that way to the hurricaine in part because they don´t understand New Orleans as a city. Everyone thinks that N.O. is all about Mardi Gras and 24 hour drinking and Bourbon Street. Unfortunatly, that is all that is advertised about NO. Once you live there though, you start to see so so so much more. It is not like every cookie cutter city in the rest of America- it has an identity, an originality, and a spirit unlike any other city that I have been to. It has african, french, and spanish roots. People from there want to hold on to that past and are proud of it. It has its own food, architecture, and even language! There is a sense of freedom and independence in New Orleans that I hope will continue to exist there during the recovery. Yes, its poor, yes- it reminds me of a city in a developing country- yes- it is dangerous. But, the fact is that New Orleans is ( or was) the last great bohemia of America. People are drawn to that city because of the freedom, the creativity and originality that exists everywhere in the hot tropical air. Not only that- but artists and muscians can live there cheap, unlike New York or San Francisco. I think that this uniqueness and ´joie de vivre´is in part what is spawning these sick attitudes. People enjoy themselves in New Orleans- maybe thats the problem- once you start enjoying yourself you are suddenly "sinning." I pray the freedom so intrinsic to New Orleans will not be lost because of this disaster and lack of response. It would truly be a loss not only to people from New Orleans, but to all Americans.